I make both meat and cheese stuffed shells. The following amounts are for 3 pounds of shells, half meat and half cheese, and need about 8 cups of tomato sauce.
For the cheese:
- 3 pounds ricotta
- 2 pounds mozzarella
- 1 pound Parmigiano Regiano
- 3 eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
For the meat:
- 3 pounds ground beef
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups fresh bread crumbs
- 1 pound mozzarella
Assemble the shells:
- Cook the shells, half at a time, according to the package directions, then spread them out on a cookie sheet or aluminum foil so they don't stick together.
- Cover the bottom of a baking dish (I use disposable aluminum pans) with tomato sauce.
- Stuff the shells with a spoon, and add in one layer to the pan.
- Cover with more tomato sauce.
- Sprinkle with Parmigiano Regiano
- Bake at 350F for 45 minutes or until bubbly.