Google
 

27 May 2007

Love Charcuterie, Hate Amazon

A couple of weeks ago, I ruined a 10-pound pork shoulder using an Italian sausage recipe I got on the Internet. Yes, there are many bad recipes out there, and this one was bad. I immediately ordered Charcuterie, the Art of Salting, Smoking, and Curing, by Michael Ruhlman and Brian Polcyn. It's a masterful work. I read the Italian sausage through a couple of time, and found out what I was doing wrong. Everything, from temperature of ingredients to mixing technique. I will try again in a week or so.

Ruhlman Inspired Me is a lovely parody story about the book.

I would have received the book earlier, but I ordered it from Amazon, and their shipping policy to Puerto Rico is nothing short of bizarre. Not only can you not specify  the shipper,  they won't even tell you who it is until after the shipment goes out. Puerto Rico is served by the USPS, as well as FedEx and UPS, but the address changes depending on the shipper. It's a PO Box for USPS, and a physical address for anyone else. Amazon also refuses to ship just about anything but books to Puerto Rico. There is no reason but laziness for this, since I buy kitchen gear from American companies all the time. I still use Amazon for books, because I have little alternative.

No comments: