Google
 

20 July 2007

Pizza

I make pizza every couple of weeks these days. When I started, I always did the dough completely by hand, under the misguided belief that what I was making was somehow more authentic. Now that I'm making pizza and bread more often, I've switched to my KitchenAid Ultra Power, which I haven't used in years.

What a fool I've been. Using the stand mixer makes the whole process much easier, and clean-up is the same. I doubt I'll be making dough by hand any timde soon.

These were done on a 23" baking sheet: the funny shape is so I can do 3 at a time. (Since I posted this, I was told by a chef friend that these are misshapen. Now I make one big pizza to fit the biggest baking pan I have.)


I also get much more consistent results since I started weighing the flour as opposed to measuring it by volume.

I usually cook pizza on a baking stone for best results, but if I'm in a hurry and want to make a lot of pizza, I cook it on a lightly oiled baking sheet dusted with corn meal.

To make pizza, you'll need:

  • pizza dough: buy it or use your favorite. Here's mine:
    • 750 grams bread flour
    • 3 grams yeast
    • 12 grams salt
    • 500 grams water
    • 48 grams olive oil
  • simple tomato sauce
  • toppings
The toppings I usually use include mozzarella and any combination of salume (Italian cured meat, almost always pork), mushrooms, sausage, peppers, and anchovies. I never use pineapple, chicken, bacon, goat cheese, or any other California affectation, because I'm going to hell as it is.
  1. Turn on your oven to as high as it goes. For me, that's 500F.
  2. Form the dough by hand into a rough round. If it springs back too much, let it rest for 10 more minutes and try again.
  3. If you're using a pizza peel to get the pizza onto a baking stone, dust the peel with coarse corn meal, and place the dough on the peel. If you're using a baking sheet, either lightly oil it and dust it with coarse corn meal, or cover it with parchment paper.
  4. Brush the dough with a little olive oil, avoiding the rim.
  5. Add enough tomato sauce to cover, but don't over do it.
  6. Add the toppings.
  7. Bake the pizza for 10 - 12 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is bubbly.



No comments: